Faculty Profile - Frank C. Lambert
Principal Research Engineer
Associate Director & Systems Analysis Program Manager
National Electric Energy Research, Testing & Applications Center
62 Lake Mirror Road
Forest Park, GA 30297
Mr. Lambert is currently a principal research engineer at Georgia Tech's National Electric Energy Testing, Research, & Applications Center (NEETRAC), where he serves as the Associate Director and Program Manager. He spent the first 22 years of his career working at Georgia Power Company in distribution engineering, transmission engineering, distribution operations, electric vehicles, and T & D research. His managerial experience included assignments as Network Underground Test Supervisor, T & D Research Manager, Network Underground Manager, and Distribution Manager. He came to Georgia Tech in 1996, where he helped to establish NEETRAC, an electric energy-focused research and testing consortium with over 36 electric utilit y and manufacturing members .
As NEETRAC's associate director, Mr. Lambert works to coordinate research with members, staff, and academic faculty to perform research and testing projects related to the transmission and distribution of electric energy. He has served in several leadership roles in industry technical organizations and works as a Principal Investigator on projects in this field.
Mr. Lambert obtained bachelor's and master's degrees in electrical engineering, both from Georgia Tech.
- Power delivery systems
- Power quality
- Electric vehicles
- Sensors for smart grid
- Communication systems for smart grid
- Fault current limiters
Distinctions & Patents
- IEEE Power and Energy Society – Governing Board Region 1-7 Representative, 2010-present
- Secretary, IEEE PES PC37.302 - Fault Current Limiter Testing Working Group, 2007-present
- Member, CIGRE WG A3.23, Application and feasibility of fault current limiters in power systems, 2008-present
- Chair, Plug-in Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Working Group, EPRI IWC, 2001-present
- Professional Engineer, State of Georgia, 1978-present
- R. Moghe, Y. Yang, F. Lambert, and D. Divan, “Design of a Low Cost Self Powered ‘Stick-on' Current and Temperature Wireless Sensor for Utility Assets”, IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE) , September 2010.
- M. Steurer, B. Marchionini, F. Darman, F.C. Lambert, and M. Noe, “Towards a Guide for Testing Emerging Fault Current Limiters”, A3_307_2010, CIGRE 2010 , August 2010.
- M. M. Begovic, B. Radibratovic, A. Rohatgi, and F.C. Lambert, “Distributed Renewable Generation: Interconnection and Performance,” Proceedings of the 1st IEEE Conference on Sustainable Alternative Energy Sources , Valencia, Spain, September 2009.
- D. Das, D. Divan, and F. Lambert, “Integrated Fault Current Limiter and Power Flow Controller for Grid Tie-Lines”, IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting , 2009.
- J. Mazumdar, R. Harley, F. Lambert and G.K. Venayagamoorthy, “Intelligent Tool for Determining the True Harmonic Current Contribution of a Customer in a Power Distribution Network,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications , Sept.-Oct. 2008.
- Y. Yang, F. Lambert, and D. Divan, “A Survey on Technologies for Implementing Sensor Networks for Power Delivery Systems”, IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting , June 2007.
- V. Cagri and F. Lambert, “A Survey on Communication Networks for Electric System Automation”, The International Journal of Computer and Telecommunications Networking , Elsevier, February 2006.
- M. M. Begovic, B. Radibratovic, F. Lambert, and D. Novosel, "Optimization of Capacitor Allocation in Transmission and Distribution Networks," Proceedings of VI Bulk Power Systems Dynamics and Control Symposium , vol. electronic, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, August 2004.
- M.M. Begovic, B. Radibratovic, and F.C. Lambert, “On Multiobjective Volt-VAR optimization in Power Systems”, Proceedings of the 37th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences , January 2004.
- H.B. Püttgen, P.R. MacGregor, and F.C. Lambert, “Distributed Generation: Semantic hype or the Dawn of a New Era?”, IEEE Power & Energy Magazine , Volume 1, Issue 1, January – February 2003.
- R. Bass, R. Harley, F. Lambert, V. Rajasekaran, and J. Pierce, “Residential Harmonic Loads and EV Charging”, IEEE 2001 Winter Power Meeting , January 2001.
- R. Bass, R. Harley, F. Lambert, V. Rajasekaran, and J. Pierce, “Secondary Distribution Harmonic Impacts of Residential EV Charging”, Proceedings of the 17th International Electric Vehicle Symposium , October 2000, Montreal, Quebec.