Faculty Profile - Richard A. Hartlein
Principal Research Engineer
National Electric Energy Research, Testing & Applications Center
62 Lake Mirror Road
Forest Park, GA 30297
Mr. Hartlein is currently a principal research engineer at Georgia Tech's National Electric Energy Testing, Research, & Applications Center (NEETRAC), where he serves as its director. He spent the first 20 years of his career working at the Georgia Power Research Center, evaluating transmission and distribution materials, developing material specifications and industry standards, managing research and testing programs, and providing engineering services. He came to Georgia Tech in 1996 where he helped to establish NEETRAC, a n electric energy focused research and testing organization with over 3 5 electric utilit y and manufactur ing members .
As NEETRAC's director, Mr. Hartlein works with members, staff, and academic faculty to coordinate and perform research and testing projects related to the transmission and distribution of electric energy. He has serve d in several leadership roles in industry technical organizations related to this field . In his role as NEETRAC director, he serves as the chair of the NEETRAC Management Board and continues to work as a principal investigator on projects in the field of underground cable systems. Mr. Hartlein obtained bachelor's and master's degrees in mechanical engineering, both from Georgia Tech.
- Accelerated aging and life prediction for extruded power cables
- Development of qualification test programs for distribution and transmission cable systems
- Design and evaluation of efficient, durable and economical power cables
- Investigating cable system failures
- Study of cable systems under extreme operating conditions
Distinctions & Patents
- Secretary, Vice Chair of the IEEE Insulated Conductors Committee (1996-1999)
- Secretary, Vice Chairman and Chairman of the AEIC Cable Engineering Section (1989-1992)
- Chair of AEIC Cable Specification Task Force (1986-1995)
- Technical Consultant to AEIC Cable Engineering Section (1996-2009)
- Chair of IEEE 404 Standard Working Group (1987-1994)
- Insulated Conductors Committee Special Recognition Award (2000)
- IEEE Fellow (2010)
- R.A. Hartlein, “Where do AEIC Cable Specifications Come From?”, Electrical Insulation Magazine , IEEE, Volume 8, Issue 5, Sept.-Oct. 1992, Pages 25-26, 33.
- J.H. Groeger, J. H. Mashikian, R.A. Hartlein, B.S. Bernstein, R.M. Eichorn, and H.K. Hwang, “Water-treeing Propensity Tests of Materials and Cables in the United States,” CIGRE 1992 Session, Paris, France, August 30-September 5.
- R.A. Hartlein and W.Z. Black, “Ampacity of Electric Power Cables In Vertical Protective Risers,” IEEE Transactions on Power Apparatus and Systems , Volume PAS-102, June, 1993.
- R.A. Hartlein, “Cable Quality - A 20 Year History,” a presentation to the Southeastern Electric Exchange Engineering and Operations Division Conference , Distribution Section, New Orleans, LA, May 27, 1993.
- S. Ramachandran, R.A. Hartlein, and P. Chandak, “A Comparative Economic Analysis for Underground Distribution Cables Insulated with TRXLPE and EPR,” Transmission and Distribution Conference , April, 1999, Volume 1, pages 11-16.
- G.B. Shattuck and R.A. Hartlein, “Utility Puts TRXLPE and EPR Cables to the Test,” Transmission and Distribution Magazine , April, 2003, Page 24.
- P. Vaucheret, R.A. Hartlein, and W.Z. Black, “Ampacity Derating Factors for Cables Buried in Short Segments of Conduit,” IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery , Volume 20, Issue 2, Part 1, April 2005, Pages 560-565.
- R.A. Hartlein , “Experimental Investigation of the Effect of Semi-conducting Cable Jackets on Adjacent Steel Structures," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications , approved April 2006.
- R.A, Hartlein and H. Orton, Editors, Long Life Insulated Power Cables , Book published 2006 by Dow Chemical and Borealis LLC, translated into Russian and Chinese. 154 pages.
- R.N. Hampton, R.A. Hartlein, and J. Perkel, ICC Education Session: “Cable Diagnostic Focused Initiative”, IEEE Insulated Conductors Committee, Orlando, Florida May 17-20, 2009
- R.N. Hampton, R.A. Hartlein, J. Perkel, M. Begovic, J.C. Hernandez, and Y. Del Valle, “Diagnostic Testing of Underground Cable Systems” (Cable Diagnostic Focused Initiative) – Final Report DOE Award No. DE-FC02-04CH11237, 328 pages, 2011.